19 OCT: 10mile PM ride

Well, my wife and I have instituted a new "date night" strategy. I have my kids 50% of the time, so she and I are on our own every Monday and Tuesday night. The rest of the week is devoted to taking the kids to Religious Ed, BMX practice, and weekend races. So making the most of Monday and Tuesday evening is critical for us, especially saince we've been married less than a year, and she has no kids of her own. Back story aside....

Tuesday night was my wife's first 'at bat' for date night. She decided we'd ride our bikes to a local farmer's market, which is about 5 miles away. We were going at a good pace, and every so often she'd pass me and laugh a little. I didn't think we were competing, but who am I to refuse a challenge. So when she'd pick up the pace, I'd go just a touch faster than her. When we got to the market she said something about being lucky, or that she let me win, or some such thing.

We had a great time at the market, bought a backpack full of stuff, and chilled for a long while before deciding it was time to head home. Great date so far, right???

Well, my lovely but competitive wife started the whole "nipping at your heels" riding and comments. We were both still playing and having fun, but I decided the next time she tried to pass, I'd open it up and not hold back the rest of the way home. We were about a mile into the return trip, and sure enough, my lovely but competitive wife did it again.

So I geared around to get my momentum up, then went into the highest gear to maintain top velocity. I didn't slow down for any turns or any up hill runs. I just kept pumping and kept my momentum up the entire 4 miles. I put about a 3/4 mile or more between us. I wasn't able to see her the rest of the ride, until we got to a major intersection and I had to wait 3-4 minutes to cross. Even then I could just barely see her coming up the rode as I crossed the intersection.

I thought it was pretty funny, but my wife didn't. I see now that "showing her" showed me!!!!

Instead of referring to her as my lovely but competitive wife, I should refer to myself as her hairy but competitive husband?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing