26 AUG: Skills and Drills

I finally hung the heavy bag back up!!! YEAH! To my suprise, my over-all conditioning is better. My technique has suffered a bit, in the areas of balance and flexibility. But speed, power, and endurance are GREAT!!!!!

Warm-up: Bill "Superfoot" Wallace warm up*: 10 minutes

Heavy bag (2 min work, 30 sec rest)

Rnd 1: Slow build-up of [jab-cross-jab], [double jab], [double jab-cross]
Rnd 2: Mostly [jab-cross-hook] and [jab-cross-hook-shovel hook]
Rnd 3: Left lead kicks
Rnd 4: Right round kick
Rnds 5, 6: Lead and Round kicks (still loosening up)
Rnd 7: Knees
Rnd 8, 9: punch kick combos
Rnd 10: Double lead kicks
Rnd 11: Double round kicks**
Rnd 12: Burn-down***

* Bill Wallace has an incredible, if somewhat dated book called Dynamic stretching and kicking. The kicking techniques aren't appropriate for MMA, but the warm-up is spot on. Buy this book!

** Double lead kicks are a bit easier than round kicks. The Thai round kick generates so muh momentum that a miss requires you to spin through, as reversing the direction is impracticle. To do a double with my rear (right) leg, I have to switch to more of a TKD style roundhouse. The knee is raised to infront of the body with shin sort of gaurding your midline. The kick is then snapped twice. my preference is low-high. I like to use the low kick as a dirstactor to set up the kick to the head.

*** A burn-down is just [jab-cross] repeated till you puke or the bell rings; whichever comes first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing