Hybrid bodybuilding Phase 2

Phase 1 is coming to and end and I'm at an all time strength peak. Everything has come together as I intended it. I am stronger through every movement pattern regardless of the specific exercise: vertical pushing, horizontal pushing, vertical pulling, horizontal pulling, squatting and deadlifting. My core is much more stable and able to support anything I demand of it. Not a bad way to end my 34th year and begin my 35th! :)

I can tell that it is time for a change. My legs are eager for additional volume, which they are going to get in spades. My elbows are ready for lower loads and less variety. Phase 2 starts on 27 DEC.

For Phase 2, I'm drawing on one method, German Volume Training, and just tweaking it as needed, for my particular needs. GVT was popularized by Charles Poliquin in the 90s, but has been around as a method since the 60s. Essentially, you do 10 sets of a single exercise for 10 reps each. That's 100 total reps with a reasonably heavy load. That total tonnage illicits the fasts size gains I've ever experienced.

I don't use this approach often because it is so demanding. You can't just start with something like this if you've been out of the game for several months. You need time to build yourself up to handle this much effort. I'm limiting my GVT days to just squats and deadlifts. For the rest of my body, I'll use a bit more variety and slightly heavier loads. Here's the exact breakdown of this 4 week phase.

Monday: Squat day:
  1. Leg press calves: 3 x 15-25
  2. Standing calves: 2 x 40
  3. Front squat: 10 x 10

Tuesday: Upper body

  1. Trap tri-set:
    a. Snatch grip high pull: 3 x 6
    b. Clean grip high pull: 3 x 6
    c. Bent row with scap contraction: 3 x 6+
  2. Power clean from blocks: 4 x 5
  3. Dumbbell shrug: 1 x 15-25
  4. Medium grip pulldown: 4 x 10-12
  5. Upper chest superset
    a. Incline bench press: 5 x 5
    b. Incline bench fly: 5 x 5 (5sec lowering)
  6. Dumbbell bench press: 5 x 10
  7. Dragon fly: 2 x max

Thursday: Deadlift day

  1. Leg press calves: 3 x 20-30
  2. Standing calves: 2 x 40-50
  3. Deadlift: 10 x 10

Friday: Shoulders and Arms

  1. Trap tri-set:
    a. Snatch grip shrug: 2 x 3
    b. Snatch grip high pull: 2 x 2
    c. Hang snatch: 2 x 1
  2. Shoulder superset
    a. Overhead press: 3 x 5
    b. Lateral raise: 3 x 5 (5sec lowering)
  3. Supinating curl: 5 x 10
  4. Bicep superset
    a. Reverse grip EZ-bar preacher curl: 5 x 5
    b. Alternating hammer curl: 5 x 5 (5sec lowering)
  5. Skull crusher: 4 x 10
  6. Tricep superset
    a. EZ-bar overhead extension: 5 x 5
    b. Cable pressdown: 5 x 5 (5sec lowering)

This is going to be simple, but highly effective at creating the stimulus need to gain muscle mass. If I have enough recovery ability, I made continue with CF style workouts on Saturdays, but that is much lower priority.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing