22 JAN: playing witth rubber bands

I ddn't exactly workout last night. It was more goofing off and experimenting with a resitance band.

I did some of the basic Wood Chopping motions as a warm-up, but then I got creative.

In Judo, there are a whole series of throws, starting with O-goshi, which involves spinning into your opponent and flipping them over your shoulder or hip. These throws require presice footwork and strong coordination between limbs, torso, hips, and legs.

I practiced this movement using the resitance band; one handle in each hand. It feels marginally similar to holding an opponents sleeves or lapel. but the cool thing is it works that coordinated effort DRAMATICALLY! My abs and shoulders were heating up as I did rep after rep. My ankles even started to get tired from the springing and erractic resistance.

After that, I anchored the bands at about waist level and did repeated jab-cross puches till I couldn't punch anymore. It was good in that it pulls my hands down and requires shoulder strength to punch in a straight line and return to the same level. When fighters tire, they drop their hands. This is going to be a great drill for keeping my hands up at all times! the only word of caution: it takes some conscious effort to ensure you snap your punches as fast as you normally would. The bands create a tendancy to leave your arms extended instead of instantaneously returning to gaurd.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing