6 JUL: Running

I hate jogging. It is slow, it is boring, and it only becomes challenging after about 30 minutes. That's why I prefer to run. In particular, I love 1/2 miles, 1/4 miles, hill sprints, and some 40 t0 100 yard sprints.

Let me make some critical distinctions. Jogging is slow, and doesn't pose any demand on your ability generate force or speed. A run is a hard, fast pace that you can't sustain for more than about 5 minutes. A sprint is kicking in the afterburners and makes you feel God-awful after about 20-30 seconds.

I avoid jogging because it teaches me to be slow. I lean towards running and sprinting because the metabolic demand is unbelievably high, the positive effects are generated after a brief but intense workout, and they raised metabolic state lasts for hours post-workout. Running and sprinting teach my body to be faster, more explosive.

Today was a brief re-introduction to running and sprinting. All I did was:


  1. 540 yards (around the block): x 4
    fastest time - 2:27

  2. Hill sprints (~30 yards at ~10 degree incline): x 6
    untimed. no rest other than walk back to start

I have plenty in the tank for an arm workout later tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing