3 DEC: Strongman / HG workout

3 hours in the mud with my training partner. It was the most fun I've had training in several months. I had a poor showing, but it was a great day anyway. My buddy Jeff and I compete with each other in a healthy way. It pushes us both to try harder. The fact that it is never certain who will outperform whom makes it even more fun. We are good friends and always encourage each other, so the competitive nature just makes it more fun. It seems our favorite phrase is becoming "Great freaking throw! DAMMIT!!"





On to the workout.




  1. 50 yard medley:
    a. 170lb farmers walk (85 per hand) / sprint back to start
    b. 45lb sled drag (light due to mud) / sprint back to start
    c. tire flip
    Jeff owned me on this one: 3:06 to my 4:08

  2. 1/4 mile farmer's walk - 170lb farmers walk (85 per hand)
    We each took turns walking as far as we could till our grips gave out. We did this twice.

  3. Open stone practice
    I was throwing a bit further than Jeff on this day.

  4. Weight Over Bar:
    My biggest stumbling block is form. I have a bad habit of releasing too early. I'm training with a lighter weight to get ample volume of good form. I'll slowly increase the weight as the season gets nearer. Jeff was reaching up to about 12-13 feet with a 33lb weight.

  5. Weight For Distance:
    This is my strongest event. Because of my background in Judo and Jiujitsu, I have great foot speed / rotational speed, which means I get a lot of velocity on the wight and seldom lose my balance.

  6. Hammer throws with various weights
    As with WFD, my velocity meant I was throwing a bit further than Jeff on the light weight hammers (8lb & 18lb), but because of his strength, we were dead even with the 23 pounder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing