10 MAR: Heavy bag

I try to get an hour of cardio in on Thursdays, but having a sick kid made that impossible. I picked my son up from school around 11:30AM, and it was all I could do to stay on top of work and him.

So late last night I got in 12 rounds on the heavy bag; 3min on, 1min off. I didn't start with my prefered method of progressive warm-up. Time was a premium, so I just jumped into bag work, and used the 1st 3 rounds as warm-up.

I started with a few rounds of straight punches, working into hooks. Then I added in elbows and started really smashing the bag with each punch. There is NOTHING as satisfying to me in boxing than landing a all strikes, including the lowly jab, with equal formidability.

I then started on kicks, just circling the bag and delivering low-line rear (right) and lead (left) kicks. Then I started working in some TKD-style snap kicks to sharpen my range and flexibility. After that, I went all out: punches, elbows, forearms, knees, kicks. 3 rounds of that and I was wiped out.

It's great knowing that boxing is so deeply ingrained that it is sharp even after months and months off. My kicks are still powerful, fast, and delivered with balance, but my flexibility needs some work. I could REALLY feel the pulled hamstring, regardless of which leg I was kicking with. I miss training at my Kajukenbo school, but such is life. Maybe 2011 will calm down enough that I can join a martial arts school.


Meals:
7:00 AM - 4 eggs
10:30 AM - Shake (24g carbs, 50g protein)
12:30 PM - Cobb salad with homemade balsamic & walnut oil dressing
2:00 PM - 3 skinless chicken drumsticks
5:30 PM - another salad, with tons of black olives and turkey
7:00 PM - heavy bag workout
8:30 PM - BCAA supplement drink with lots of L-Leucine
10:30 PM - 2 handfuls of cashews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing