20 APR: Stand-up training

It's awesome to coach and train at the same time. Since I am keeping an eye on my training partner's form, and demonstrating etc., I forces me to takes little breaks during my work. If I were training for a fight, that'd be a bad thing. but as it is, it's wonderful. It creates a natural progession in intensity. Since I am coaching, the quality of the work I am putting form is great!! As he gets better and I spot-correct less, my quanity of work output goes up!

Anyway, this is the workout we did.


Technique drill 1: 15 minutes
  • high block - cross
  • outside block - cross
  • catch - cross
  • brush block - cross
  • low block - cross
  • high block - jab
  • outside block - jab
  • catch - jab
  • brush block - jab
  • low block - jab

Technique drill 2: 10 minutes
Partner drill which alternates jab - hook (offense) with catch - cover (defense). We kept swapping for about 10 minutes.

The workout: 3min work / 30sec rest

  1. 3 rounds heavy bag - free sparring
  2. 3 rounds of conditioning circuit
    - 50 jump ropes
    - 10 ab wheels
    - as many circuits per round as possible
    - I got 2.5 circuits per round

The finisher: 1min work / 20sec rest

  1. Continuous lead kick / rear (round) kick
  2. Continous jab / cross
  3. Burpees

Thank God I didn't do the finisher!!!! I took my partner through this and he was too gassed to even hold the bag. It took him probably 15 minutes to fully recover from that finisher. I will start this same finisher on Thrsday. Wish me luck!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing