Mass Made Simple day 1

I love the training principles Dan John outlines.  They make sense.  They work.  They go deeper than methods or programs.

I know I want to get in some serious volume work, but I want a bridge between what I can handle today and the classic 10 x 10 approach.  MMS is the perfect bridge.

Day 1:  Feel it out, find your weights.

  1. Bench press:  205lbs is my starting weight
  2. Bat Wings:  40lb dumbbells is my starting weight
  3. 1-arm overhead press:  65 is my starting weight
  4.  Bird dog:  easy enough
  5. Complexes:
    Work up to max weight for 3 reps of:
    a. row
    b. clean
    c. front squat
    d. overhead press
    e. back squat
    f. Flat back goodmorning
    Starting weight:  115
  6. Back Squat:  Recommendation was 25 reps at 95.  I did it and it was easy.  I bumped up to 115 and banged out 30.  THAT was a challenge, but manageable.
Only difficulties I had:
  • 1-arm overhead press:  I got banged up pretty good last week at the skate / BMX park.  My right shoulder hurt on every pressing movement
  • I underestimated my strength, so working up to 5 rep max on 1-arm press created fatigue, which hampered my pressing in the complexes.
  • Wrist flexibility in front squat is especially bad since I began shooting my heavy-draw recurve.  It'll be good to use correct grip instead of modified cradle grip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing