1MAR: Abbreviated triceps

I like how lifting is a metaphor for life.  Some things in my life are worth any amount of effort to achieve.  I can't always do things when I planned to do them, and I may have to get creative with my schedule, but I damn sure won't quit on something or someone just because the work gets a little hard.  So I thrive on lifting when I'm tired, frustrated, angry, depressed, lonely, or just plain lazy.  Nothing makes me feel more committed to living the life I expect for myself and my family like defying gravity and lifting heavy shit as many times as I planned.

Gravity wants to pin that deadlift bar to the floor.  Gravity wants to crush me under a heavy squat.  Fuck gravity.  Fuck opposition.  Fuck anything that stands in the way of my journey.  I'll go through it.  I'll go over it.  I'll meet it head on, wrestle it to submission, and then go back on my journey.  I'll be a little more tired, and maybe rack up another injury to add to my ever growing list, but I won't be stopped and I won't quit.

Saturday night's workout was late, and bare-bones, but I hit some new numbers (PRs if you care), then headed home.  No extra work.  No filler.  Just Wham! Bam! Thank you, CNS.

  1. Agile-8 + back bridges
  2. Pullups:  BW x 6,5,4,4,3
  3. Close grip bench press:  165x6;195x1;  175x6;205x1;  185x6;225x1; 195x6
  4. Dips:  BW x 10, 10, 10, 10
I had no idea I could load up so heavy on close grip bench press.  It definitely hurts my right shoulder, but not terribly so.  195x6 seems like a good number to me,  Been a while since I did heavy bench presses, but based on this I think I could train with 245 for 5-8 reps.  And the pullups are coming easy on the Pavel 5RM Fighter Pullup plan.  As a nice side benefit, my forearms are getting bigger, dense, and more vascular from all the pullups and Olympic lifting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing