back to athletics

I just can't do this bodybuilding thing for long, even when I'm following the much loved 5-3-1 template.  I just don't feel like body part splits get me enough systemic work.  Sure, I get local fatigue and some soreness, but it seems my athleticism (speed, mobility, stamina) takes a hit while developing more muscle.

So I'm back to what I love - whole body training, with a twist.

I'm following the classic A-B-A, B-A-B framework, but applying what I've learned about linear progression (i.e. periodization), with just enough variety to ensure balanced progress for the long term.

Instead of 2 training sessions, I have 4:  A1, B1, A2, and B2.


A1 and A2 workouts follow this format:
  1. cardio warm-up
  2. rotational abs
  3. bicep/tricep strength super-set
  4. Horizontal strength push/pull super-set: heavy, linear progression
  5. Vertical size push/pull super-set: lighter load, higher volume
  6. Squat strength: heavy, linear progression
  7. Squat assistance work: lighter load, higher volume

B1 and B2 workouts follow this format:
  1. cardio warm-up
  2. frontal abs
  3. bicep/tricep size super-set
  4. Vertical strength push/pull super-set: heavy, linear progression
  5. Horizontal size push/pull super-set: lighter load, higher volume
  6. Deadlift strength: heavy, linear progression
  7. Deadlift assistance work: lighter load, higher volume
Tuesdays and  Thursdays are Low Intensity Intervals

Saturday, now that my wife no longer works them, will be devoted to outdoor play once again!!


Reminder of strength goals:
  1. Overhead press: 210 (1x bodyweight)
  2. Bench press:  315 (1.5x bodyweigt)
  3. Back Squat: 425 (2x bodyweight)
  4. Deadlift: 525 (2.5x bodyweight)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

13JAN2015: More boxing

The Warrior's Path