Highland Games recap

http://sherwoodforestfaire.com/celtic-festival/highland-games/

No results posted yet, but I can tell you all that I'm damn proud of my performance. I was the smallest guy out there (aside from the light weight division), and the promoter bumped me up to Amateur - C instead of Novice.

Games started at 10:00 AM and ended around 6:00 PM

Events:


  1. 22lb Standing Put: I was right in the mix with the top 5 guys. Well above all the novices

  2. 16lb Open Stone: I was middle of the pack here. Some of the guys were former shot putters, so they had technique I've yet to develop.

  3. 42lb "Heavy" Weight for Distance: I rocked it here. I was in the top 5 or so again

  4. 28lb "Light" Weight for Distance: I was one of the furtherest throwers in this event. This is my best event.

  5. 22lb "Heavy" Hammer throw: This one was difficult!!! Spin a 22lb hammer that is 5 feet long around your head and throw it backwards as far as you can. I got off balance on my 1st and 2nd attempt and actually fell over on my 2nd attempt. I did OK on my 3rd try when I widened my stance and dropped my hips. I was in the bottom half on this event

  6. 16lb "Light" Hammer throw: I did great here.

  7. Caber Toss: This is the signature event of Scottish Games. I crushed the 15' 80lb caber. Nailed it on my first try. I came close to turning the 19' 110lb caber, but it didn't quite get there. I'll nail it in November!!!

  8. 42lb Weight Over Bar: I absolutely blew it on this event. My hands kept cramping so i could find a good smooth release. I never made it over the 10' mark. What a disappointment!!!

  9. 150lb stone lift: The object here was to clean and press max reps in 1 minute. I got 2 reps, and missed two additional attemps. This was an absolute beast!!!! That granite marble is so freaking smooth!!

All in all, I'm please with my results. I completed events that most guys couldn't do (caber and stone lift), and I was competitive ina few events. I can't wait for November in Austin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing