long time, no blog

I've done tons of workouts since my last post and don't feel like writing them all up. But here is the latest observations and course corrections.

Observations:
  1. I'm bigger and stronger, but have less sport-specific endurance
  2. I'm fatter
  3. Training like a body-builder is fun from time to time, but not right for me as a primary focus of my training
  4. CrossFit style conditioning exercises are the best bang for your buck way to increase anaerobic endurance
  5. Training exclusively with CrossFit WODs isn't right for me either
  6. Too much variety makes me lose focus on progression
  7. Too little variety makes me lose enthusiasm for training, even when I'm making progress
To fix all the issues, I've come up with a framework that allows for a balance of conditioning and strength build workouts; variety and consistent progression. Here's the framework I came up with for meeting my athletic objectives.

  1. I've modified the 2-week, ABA-BAB framework to balance my needs for MMA conditioning and increases in strength and muscle mass
  2. Two different strength workouts, A1 and A2, are constantly rotated, until each has been performed 6 times. These are performed using all intensity increasing methods, and only one set to total muscular failure
  3. Three different conditioning workout, B1, B2, B3, are constantly rotated, until each has been performed 4 times. These workouts focus on mobility, and jack your heart rate to near maximum levels.

The whole pattern repeats after 4 weeks, so each week feels unique and provides the sense of variety I want, and the measurable progress that is a requirement. here is a snapshot of my schedule for the next 4 weeks.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing