Lose myself in effort

I've lost track of how long I've been at the boxing gym.  The class sizes are picking up.  There are some really cool kids who are eager to soak up everything they can.  There are a handful of adults, too.  Its amazing.  I'm learning to see who wants the coaching, and who wants to just do their own thing.  Either is fine by me; I'm just here to help.

I'm there 3-4 nights a week.  Every class runs about the same:
  1. cardio warm-up
    either a 2 mile run or 5 rounds of jump rope (3min / 1min)
  2. Some form of calisthenic circuit
    e.g. 4 x 10 each of Walking lunges / Pushups / medicine ball slams
  3. Some form of Ab circuit
    e.g. 3 x 20 each of crunch / flutter kicks / leg circles / side-to-side crunches
  4. Shadow boxing: 3 rounds
  5. Heavy bag: 6 rounds
  6. Mitts: 2-3 rounds

This runs about an hour and a half.  Its freaking amazing!!!!!  The time flies by and I forget that I'm both coaching and training.  By the end of it, I'm covered in sweat and utterly spent, but it feels like maybe 30 minutes have gone by.  I'm getting better, but what really thrills me is to watch these kids get better.  Even just seeing them wrap their own hands without my guidance is inspiring.

The more I coach, the more the details are coming back to me.  Feints, slips, rolls, rising hooks, lunging vs shuffling.  Oh, how I've missed the sweet science!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing