5JAN2015: Boxing night

I've been volunteering for the last month or so at a boxing gym in Round Rock.  Its run by a church and is targeted towards kids who need guidance and a way to stay out  of trouble.  The program doesn't officially launch till February, but there are already a few kids there.  I've been going just to get my skills sharp, practice my old coaching techniques, and just getting back into fighting shape.

I'VE MISSED THIS!!!!!   I'd forgotten what it was like to train for fighting.  Whether boxing, MMA, wrestling, judo, jiujitsu, or any other full contact fighting sport, the deadly seriousness of training is like nothing else.  Sure I push hard in the gym, but working the heavy bag, or working mitts with a coach is in a realm of its own.  I was breathing so hard after 1 round of punching mitts that my already-sore throat went dry and I could hardly breathe.  I had to rest for a bit because I was on the verge of throwing up.

I'll be doing this 4 nights a week until the program is running smoothly and the other coaches feel like they can run this without me on Wednesdays and Thursdays.  Until then, I'm going to be pushing myself to the limit 4 nights a week, after my morning workouts.

Thank you, Lord, for this opportunity to serve doing something I'm supremely passionate about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing