Progress is measured in years

My wife and I rode the park road between Bastrop State Park and Beuscher State Park on March 13, 2010

Back then, I was only able to go about half way before crapping out.  This place is as hilly as it gets around Austin.  We might have done it once more but I don't see a blog entry about it.


Well, I just rode Park Road 1C again and this time did all 22 miles (11 miles each way).  This was bitter sweet.  I had knee surgery on 12 AUG, so crushing all but 3 of the hills was fantastic, and that I am not sore at all is promising.  The bitter part is I was alone.  I went to one of "our" favorite places by myself and was able to go at a pace even she would have been hard pressed to maintain.  I don't have a road bike, so doing this on large frame mtn bike with 29" wheels is no easy task, and I always wear my daypack with ample water which adds another 15 pounds.

I took a picture of one of the historic Civilian Conservation Corp buildings which she and I "defiled".  That was a fun little part of spending so much time outdoors.  :)   Funny how a place that was a great inside joke and awesome memory is now a little painful when I see it with my own eyes.

After I finished the ride, I went to my favorite winery in La Grange.  Emmett and Beatrice have been running this place for a long time, and I met them in 2008.  I bought a case of wine with very little small talk.  On my way out he gave me a glass with their label and said "Oh and give this one to your wife.  How is she doing anyway?"  Well.......   I couldn't really say.

So how is this progress?
  • I am fitter than I have been since I stopped amateur MMA
  • My knee is ready for reintroduction real lifting
  • While my wife hasn't filed for divorce and I have not yet moved on, I am at a place where reminders and memories are all about joy.  I have let go of every bit of anger and resentment

Where do I need more progress?
  •  My left leg is noticably smaller than my right, and noticably weaker
  • I could stand to ratchet up the cardio vascular / VO2 Max training
  • I have not finished grieving for the loss of my marriage, or my wife, or my passionate lover, or my best friend, or the stepmother of my kids.  This is made more difficult for me since she has not filed for divorce or retained a lawyer or made any steps toward ending the marriage legally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing