2020 was such a tough year for everyone.  I don't need to rehash the global level stuff.  Compounding it on a micro-level, I had to get through two major surgeries.  The first was kidney donation.  That was a tough one.  I've never been so fatigued in my life.  I tried getting back to exercise after a few weeks but could only sustain maybe 2 minutes of effort. It was humbling.  Then in October I had 60% of the meniscus in my right knee removed.  This has proven to be even more limiting than losing a kidney.

But after shifting my focus to movement quality, mobility, and of course rehab, I'm back to normal energy levels and near normal ranges of motion in my right leg. One realization is that as I get stronger, I'm able to increase my mobility, so I've started training "heavy" again.  Keep in mind heavy is a relative term.

I am using timed sets in a circuit to create a nice 1-2 punch of strength and conditioning.  Each set is 90 seconds - no extra rest period. There are 4 movements per circuit, and 5 circuits total. I start with a weight that is challenging for 5 reps and stick with it till I can get 10 reps for all 5 sets / circuits.  Here is what a workout might look like:

Monday week 1:  Five Rounds of
A. Deadlift:   205 x 5 (90 seconds)
B. Bent Row: 165 x 5 (90 seconds)
C. Goblet squat: 65 x 5 (90 seconds)
D. Overhead Press: 145 x 5 (90 seconds)


Friday Week 2: Five Rounds of
A. Deadlift:   205 x 10 (90 seconds)
B. Bent Row: 165 x 10 (90 seconds)
C. Goblet squat: 65 x 10 (90 seconds)
D. Overhead Press: 145 x 10 (90 seconds)


These workouts are exactly 30 minutes.  The first session of 5x5 is always easier because more of the 90 seconds is spent resting. As reps creep up to 10, you'll end up with maybe 40 seconds of rest per set.  This framework won't work forever, but it sure is a great place to plant a stake in the ground and get serious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

13JAN2015: More boxing

The Warrior's Path