I have this shit DOWN

I am a tinkerer by nature.  I've built a career of consistently improving things, optimizing results for minimal effort. I have many shortcomings and weaknesses, but one of my strengths is to filter out all the distractions from a situation and zero in on the critical few that matter.

I've realized the following limitations in myself:

  • I'm too old to keep chasing weekly increases in poundages, so 5-3-1 isn't optimal for me
  • I need LOTS of volume to elicit the metabolic stress necessary for my goals, so 5-3-1 isn't optimal for me
  • When I follow typical periodization blocks, I lose the other qualities far too fast

I've solved this by:
  • Following a Push / Pull split that ensure I'm hitting everything twice a week.
  • Always starting with a variety of barbell complexes, focused on Snatch or Clean.  The variety means I have to master movement before I can increase load. The nature of complexes adds significant metabolic stress with minimal time, and leaves plenty in the tank for volume (aka Hypertrophy) work
  • Incorporating Volume Accumulation Plan ensure the most consistent progress with lowest occurence of injury.  (e.g. Dips wk1: 10x5 @ +45lbs; wk6: 10x10 @ +45lbs)
  • Finishing with low weight, high effort sets really targets the specific muscle group for a final pump
    • e.g. Block 1 might be 2 or 3 rounds of tri-sets
    • e.g. Block 2 might be 3-50 method
  • Focusing on body movement drills as a finisher to ensure my mobility is never impeded by traditional bodybuilding methods. The added energy expenditure at the end of each day ensure that I'm getting whole body stimulus even while focusing hypertrophy work on just one or two muscle groups.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing