Same goals, slight tweak to schedule

I've decided to do a little less lifting and a little more cardio.  I need to cut to 199 for the last two light weight Highland Games competitions of the year:

  • Austin Celtic Festival 11/7
  • Salado Celtic Festival 11/14
I did pretty poorly at Sherwood, but I know why and I'm fixing it.  I've been training for aesthetics for most of 2015 and even though some lift maxes have come up, my overall performance has taken a hit as I've divided my training into smaller and smaller body parts.

Performance is all about integrating the body as a single unit to develop power, speed, endurance or whatever your particular sport calls for.  The benefit off all the body-part bodybuilding training is that I've worked on several weak links.  Now it's time to connect those links into a strong kinetic chain.

The new schedule is:
Monday AM: Whole body lifting for power and strength
Monday PM: Boxing workout to cut fat and increase anaerobic endurance

Tuesday AM: Shoulders and arms.  My arms are still my weakest link
Tuesday PM: I leave it open for whatever fun stuff may come up.  :)

Wednesday AM: Random MetCon or running
Wednesday PM: Boxing workout to cut fat and increase anaerobic endurance

Thursday AM: Whole body lifting for power and strength
Thursday PM: Boxing workout to cut fat and increase anaerobic endurance

Friday AM: Shoulders and arms again.
Friday PM: off

Saturday AM: Whatever fun outdoor play / aerobic fun I can stir up.


Boxing workouts

I start each workout with a progressive jog.  Each session is a little faster, or a little further, and a little less walking.  Then I do 3-5 rounds of jump rope (3 mins work / 30 sec rest). After that, it's a lot of stretching before I move into shadow boxing.  Finally I'm ready for the real workout, which includes many rounds on the heavy bag. Boxing is much less taxing than kick boxing, so I'm gradually working back up to kickboxing rounds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing