Done for week 5

Holy crap am I exhausted!  I tried to get to the gym at 10:00 PM last night, and I didn't have any strength or energy at all. Totally wiped out.  I could barely get 1 low box pistol per leg.  I barely got 2 pullups.  I tried a light snatch complex to warm-up, but it smashed me.

So now that I've  been at it for a few months, it's time to change the methods, but keep  the same principles.


Observations:

  • High rep double progression squats ROCK!!!!  No change needed
  • Pavel's 5RM Pullup plan ROCKs, too.  No change there.  If I get to 10 reps, I'll switch from neutral grip to pronated (i.e. normal pullups)
  • Low box pistols are WAAAY harder than the taller box.  It's going to be a long road to full pistols, but the plan I'm following is great.  Big improvements in my weak leg, and it doesn't hurt my squatting or deadlift training
  • Traps are dwarfing my delts.  Looks kinda weird.
  • Arms are responding well to the high volume double progression approach.  No changes needed.
  • 5 sets of deadlift are infinitely more taxing than 5 sets of squats.

Modifications:
  • I'm getting bored with my Agile-8 warm-up.  Going to do Turkish getups for a while, just because I want to master them and I need a little variety
  • Now that my hamstring is coming back to par, I will include a simple Oly complex at the start of  each workout:
    • Klokov complex or Snatch-High Pull-Jump Shrug
  • I need to dial down the volume for a while on pressing movements.  Everything is starting to hurt in a bad way.  Going to dial the sets down to 5-3-1 template plus one Rest Pause set
    • depending on week 3 heavy sets (3x5, or 3x3, or 5,3,1) plus one RP set
  • Switching from bent rows to Hammer Strength rows.  Lower back is taking a beating from all the Oly lifts
  •  Move deadlifts to last session of the week, instead of middle.  That way all 3 workouts will be quality efforts, and I'll get 2 days to recover after DLs instead of 1.
I'll follow this for modified approach until I get crushed again or stop making gains.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing