First day of a long journey

If you have read my blog much at all, you have seen that I try new things far too often.  I specialize for a time on "arms"  or do a "squat cycle", and ultimately I get part way through and feel too imbalanced to finish the full 10 or 16 week plan.

Now that I'm as busy as I am, I've been forced to reevaluate my priorities, and see if what I'm doing in the gym matches up to what I want to accomplish in life.  Seem like I'm over-reaching with that statement?  Let me draw it all out, and then you tell me.

What I value in life:
  • Time spent with my family and friends
  • Capability to do anything, either for fun or because I need to take care of business
  • Ability to protect my family and friends should the need arise
  • A lean healthy physique that will keep me active into my old age
If I spend 5-6 days a week in the gym, I'm short changing my family time.  If I focus too much on size and strength, I'll risk losing mobility or getting fat - either way I'll be less capable outside the gym.

To that end I've started an ultra-basic whole body training plan.  There are 4 distinct training sessions.  All start with an explosive movement:

A1:
1. Explosive
2. Hip-dominant bilateral
3. horizontal push unilateral
4. horizontal pull bilateral
5. tricep unilateral
6. bicep bilateral
7. rotational abs

B1:
1. Explosive
2. Knee-dominant bilateral
3. vertical push unilateral
4. vertical pull bilateral
5. tricep bilateral
6. bicep unilateral
7. frontal abs

A2:
1. Explosive
2. Hip-dominant unilateral
3. horizontal push bilateral
4. horizontal pull unilateral
5. tricep unilateral
6. bicep bilateral
7. rotational abs

B2:
1. Explosive
2. Knee-dominant unilateral
3. vertical push bilateral
4. vertical pull unilateral
5. tricep bilateral
6. bicep unilateral
7. frontal abs

 I may switch out the specific exercises every couple of months, and I will definitely change the rep ranges every few weeks, but this is the format until I am faster, leaner, stronger, and awesomer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing