Man, so much has happened since I last posted. COVID pandemic was a huge one. I made changes to keep systemic fatigue low so I could train almost every day. Sometimes I could go 8 days with no rest days. Sometimes only 3 days. The key for me has been to move to push/pull splits, and to manage fatigue with ladders. Here is a simple framework you can follow. Add rest days between sessions whenever you need it. Day 1: Push 1 Compound circuit a. Overhead press: 5 x 5 b. Kettlebell swing: 5 x 10 Isolation circuit: Ladders a. Incline lateral raise: 3 x 3-5-7 b. Kettlebell swing: 3 x 5-10-15 Day 2: Pull 1 Compound circuit a. Ring row: 5 x 5 b. 1-arm swing: 5 x 5+5 Isolation circuit: Ladders a. Supinating dumbbell curl: 3 x 3-5-7 b. Kettlebell swing: 3 x 5-10-15 Day 3: Push 2 Compound circuit a. Pushups: 5 x 15 b. Kettlebell swing: 5 x 10 Isolation circuit: Ladders a. Skull crushers: 3 x 3-5-7 b. Kettlebell swing: 3 x 5-10-15 Day 4...
Sunday's track practice was exactly what I needed. Not too tough, but enough to feel it today. We did lots of medicine ball exercises, focused mostly on core and posterior chain strength. After about 30 minutes of that, we did quite a few sprints from various starting positions: sitting, plank, sitting backwards, laying down, etc. It was about a 4 on a 1-10 scale of intensity.
The Workout of the Day ("WOD") called for 5 rounds for time of: A) ~65lb Kettlebell swing: 25 reps / round B) Glute-Ham situp (AKA roman chair): 25 reps / round C) Back Extensions: 25 reps / round D) Hanging knees to elbows: 25 reps / round I scaled this back and added in some substitutions based on equipment limitations A) 35 lb dumbbell swing B) Leg raise off bench C) Barbell goodmorning D) Hanging kees to elbow My performance per round was A) 25 / 20 / 15 / 10 / 15 B) 25 / 20 / 15 / 10 / 15 C) 25 / 20 / 15 / 10 / 15 D) 15 / 15 / 10 / 10 / 10 total time: 22 minutes (using clock, not stopwatch) Observations : My spinal erectors are much more developed than my transverse abdominals. Knees to Elbows are KILLER. My conditioning (also called stamina) is better than most weight trainers. I should have stayed at 20 reps per round for the last 4 sets instead of reducing by 5 each set. I'm not sore at all! I can see that doing CF WODs will leave plenty "in the tank"...
Comments