22 JUN: Sprint training

My wife and I ran sprints for an hour yesterday. We hit the park / track at 3:00 PM. I'm not sure exactly how hot it was, but it was no LESS than 100 degrees Farenheit.

We did lots of sprint build-ups to avoid hamstring injuries. I've had two serious pulls in the last 4 years, and I intend to avoid any more at all costs.

Since we knew we'd do this for an hour, we really extended the volume of the build ups, and were able to very gradually build up the intensity of effort.


Build-ups:



  1. High knees: 2 x 40yds

  2. High knee + run: 4 x 20yd + 20yd

  3. Plo-skips: 2 x 40yds

  4. Plyo-skip + run: 4 x 20yd + 20 yd

  5. Acceleration sprints: 4 x 20yds

  6. Acceleration sprints: 4 x 40yds


Sprints:


Our sprints were gruelling. We did 100 yard races. After two sprints, I decided that we'd both run much harder if my wife had a 10 yard head start. That forced me to accelerate fast, and sustain my absolute to speed to beat her. I was able to "win" a couple times, but the effort had me on the verge of passing out in that heat.


I shortened her lead to 5 yards, and was able to stay within a few feet of her by the finish line, but her lead grew with each successive sprint. My wife isn't terribly fast, but her work capacity and recovery time are supernatural!!!!


All in all, we must have run 10 or 12 sprints. I feel it in every joint in my body today. Even my elbows are sore from the tension that builds up from swinging your arms so fast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing