Service meets Self Discipline

I may have written before about how I try to drive one new quality / attribute every year, and package it in a simple mantra.  This the mantra is Service Before Self.  Like all new habits, starting it is rough and takes a toll at first.  I let my training slide because my evenings were filled with volunteer work.

Since Spring break I've been trying to lift and run in the mornings.  The first week was poor.  The second week was OK, and the 3rd was good.   Its becoming easier and almost a habit.  The reason for the title: I couldn't have made this change had I not practiced self discipline in all areas of my life last year.

Giving up alcohol took more effort than a mere act of self discipline.  It took prayer, fellowship, and some nights alone figuring out how to be me again.  Now that its just how life is, I can be sober in any environment.  At this stage I don't feel as though I've given up something.  Rather, to have a drink would be to give up my sobriety. Not worth it no matter the situation

This too has had carry-over into other areas of life.  I've been dieting militantly for a couple months to compete as a light weight (under 200 pounds)....lots of other stuff deleted because of blogging error......

So now, I'm able to live a life that feels normal but accomplishes much:
  • morning starts with prayer for my loved ones and those who's needs I'm aware of
  • arrive at the gym between 5:30 and 6:00 AM
  • get home and work my tail  off at my job
  • Mon - Thu: work with my MMA kids from 5:30 - 6:30. Some days 4:30 - 6:30
  • Make dinner for my kids when they are with me, talk about homework, their day
  • Clean the kitchen
  • Time for friends, family, those who are like family :)
  • A little housework
  • Read
  • Pray
  • Sleep
I'm just edging toward 199 and the leanest I've been as an adult.  Sure I was leaner when I boxed at the Air Force Academy, but I was 18 - 20 and in a controlled environment.   That doesn't count.

This is simple and unglamorous, but the peace, joy, contentment and drive to improve have all come together at a single point in time. I'm happy where I am, but just as happy putting in the work to become more.

God, I am yours to do with me and build with me what you will.  May any successes I have serve as the tiniest reflection of your overwhelming glory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing