Dropping fat, gaining strength

I haven't been this lean in 7 years!  I'm down to 205, and dropping.  My waist is a solid 33" but my belly button measurement is going down fast.  I need to measure again soon.  I can see my 6-pack and even my obliques have some definition. The only disappointment is my face remains round and pudgy.

For the next 2 months I will continue with a simplified / abbreviated strength plan which incorporates fat-burning MetCons at the end.


What's Working:

  1. Teaching boxing class 3-4 nights a week.  5:30-6:30. I lead with a lot of 1-on-1 coaching and participating, so I get a little sweat going, but I'm there for them.
  2. M,W,F lifting session, ending with treadmill intervals.  Super-abbreviated push/pull rotation.  Push days are vertical  and horizontal pushing, with squats.  I vary the movements some. Pull days are vertical and horizontal pulling, with deadlifts.  Again, some variations to keep from hitting a plateau too fast.
    All sessions end with a few rounds of 2 min walk and 1 min hard run.  I try to increase the speed of the run each time.  The good news is an upper limit here won't make it any less effective.
  3. Crazy Challenges on Saturdays.  When I'm with my kids, I just take the kettlebells and jump rope where ever we go.  When I don't  have my kids, its whatever the weather permits.  Most recently it was an 18 mile hike with 60 pounds of sand in my backpack.

Level Up:
When I get into a groove of doing this for a couple of months, I'm going to add walking / jogging with the dogs in the mornings.   Will make the walk/run longer on Tuesday and Thursday.  This stage is still aspirational.



Boxing is great.  I have 11 kids now and for the most part they are great.  Thursday was a challenge. They gave the 1st coach a hard time during the 4:30 - 5:30 block.  They gave me a hard time from 5:30 - 6:30.  I don't know what's in the air but my two best students, a boy and a girl, just wanted to flirt and goof off.  We had a serious talk and then I took some new students to the big gym to work mitts while they stayed in the youth room and wasted time.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing