Back on track

The week of 26 - 30 Sep was rough. I was in training that ran long 3 days that week, then had a Boy Scout meeting with my son on Wednesday night. I took the kids shopping after work on Friday. I only got in one day of training, on Monday 26 SEP.

I did, however, make use of the weekend.

Saturday, 1 OCT:


  • Went to the park and did tons of shot put, standing and "open"
    I was able to add a solid 6 feet to my distance just by experimentling with technique. I'm going to do great in both Braemar Stone and Open Stone in November!!!

  • I took a 55lb dumbbell and practiced Weight for Distance and Weight Over Bar. This about ripped me in two. If I can get solid balance using the 55lb dumbbell, the 42lb implement is going to be a breeze.

  • Atlas Stone clean and press. I didn't keep count. I just did it till I couldn't do it any more

Sunday, 2 OCT:



  • Improvised hammer swing: Just so everyone is aware, a real 22lb Scottish Hammer or Macebell is a complete and total rip off. Why on earth would you pay $150 to $200 for 20-25lbs of weight?

    I took the kids to the park for batting practice. After they had had enough, I dropped a 25lb plate over the handle of my kids' Louisville Slugger. The weight settled about 6 inches from the end.

    I practiced swings in both directions, focusing on correct arc / trajectory, and then gradually built up the speed. I only did about a dozen or sow actual throws. The slickness of the bat forced me to build som serious grip fatigue. This will do for now, but I'm getting a normal construction-grade 20lb hammer for Christmas. Those only run $50 on Amazon.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing