Another setback

Living an adventurous life is great, but not without risks and, yes, set-backs.
My wife and I went to the Gulf of Mexico this weekend and the plan was:


  • fish Matagorda on Friday

  • Check into hotel in East Matagorda Bay on Saturday:
    - 4-wheeling to get to the goot spots on the island

  • Kayak East Matagorda on Sunday

  • Guided fshing trip on Monday

  • Come home Tuesday

Well, the first couple of bullets went as planned, but then came the kayaking. It ws 100 degrees that Sunday, from 10:00 AM till well into the evening. We set out from the dock on Caney Creek at 6:30 AM, and kayaked a slow 10 miles, stopping everywhere we thought the might be fish. We also stopped at 2 islands to walk, have snacks, and fish the banks. It was a gorgeous day, and a real endurance event.


We made it back to the dock at 2:00 PM, without any incidents or problems at all. I got out of the kayak and my legs went completely numb. It reminded me of getting dead-legged when I was kick boxing. That's when you get kicked hard enough in the thigh that your leg just turns off momentarily. Anyway, I stood up on the oyster reef and just fell over backwards like a ton of bricks.


The oysters cut me up my left side from my ankle to my hands. Some of the puncture wounds were scary deep. The dock owner (and fishing guide) patched me up and we were off to the ER. Oysters are covered in a type of flesh-eating bacteria, so we took no chances. It felt like fire as they fished out bits of shell from my cuts with tweezers, and then scrubbed the inside of my wounds with a bristly brush. All I could do was laugh out load at how much pain such tiny instruments could cause.


Doctors won't stitch oyster wounds because they want to let the cuts drain as they heal, else you increase the risk of infection. So with my laft hand wide open, and my left ankle split up the side, I'm sidlined for at least a week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing