Re-evaluating

I'm a huge fan of periodized training. For me, it is simply a means to add some structure to variety; to organize without pigeon-holing myself. After getting back to some hard core HIT workouts, I've realized a few things:
1) The cardio-conditioning required is incredible!
2) The impact on hypertrophy is great!
3) The improvements in strength is OK

Since I hurt my back going so heavy on squats (triples and doubles), I think its time to move back towards the "generalist" type of training.

I plan to alternate between two distinct modalities for the next 12 weeks:
1) 3 week phases of HIT style workouts, three times a week
2) 3 Week phases of Crossfit training, four times a week
* During both phases, I'll fill in the gaps with basic running and some Cross PIT workouts to keep my sport-specific conditioning intact.

Crossfit is awesome for conditioning and building generalized athletic abilities. I'll do my best to do the WODs, but I may cherry pick some of the named workouts.


At the end of each 3 week phase, I'll post the following:

  • Body Weight
  • 1 rep max for
    * Bench Press
    * Deadlift
    * Overhead Press (strict style, NOT push press)
    * Squat
  • 5K time

I'm on the fence about pictures. Its common and nobody bats an eyelash, but it seems narcissistic to me. Besides, i don't want creeps like Plieb looking at me online. HA!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing