5 NOV: Achy Breaky Legs

Today was "Run Day" at my kids' school. Normally 45 minutes of running isn't so tough. Maybe a little tough if you are going at an adult pace and haven't been running regularly, but I was running with kids.

I did it twice, though! 8:35 for 4th graders (my daughter's class) and 1:05 for 1st graders (my son's class). Keep in mind the Squat + Presses I did yesterday using the Tabata protocol. My legs were sore before I got out of bed this morning.

As far as results, I did 7 laps with my daughter and 9 laps with my son. The track isn't exactly a quarter mile, so I have no idea how far I went in total. Maybe 2 miles.


What happens between 1st and 4th grade??? The 4th grade kids would run for a bit, then just walk and mosey along. The more I coaxed, the slower they walked. The 1st graders, however, were running full force until their bodies couldn't do it anymore. Then they'd jog till they had enough breath to run full force again. Granted, I'm generalizing 4th graders based on my daughter, and 1st graders based on my son. But there is something about younger kids who don't know "better". I think over-training and overexertion are concepts invented by adults to justify half-ass efforts.

At one point my son informed me of his cramp. I replied "Want to slow down a bit? We can jog till the cramp is gone."

His response was straight out of the unfettered mind. "Nah. Let's go!" And off we went back at a full speed run!

Thank you, Buddy-boy, for teaching me something today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Calisthenics

The Warrior's Path

13JAN2015: More boxing